Monday, January 23, 2012

Antiguedades

Hello friends and family!

First of all, happy Monday to all! I hope your weekends were top notch...mine was! On Friday night, I went to a mescaleria (a bar that serves all different types of mescal which is kind of like tequila but not) and then to another bar-club type of venue. On Saturday, I didn´t do much during the day except for chill and then go out again at night with the crazy Canadians and some taco-vending Mexicans...We went to a club called Oui which is supposed to be pretty fresa but was actually really fun. Of course, late night tacos ensued for both of my nights out. A girls gotta eat!

On Sunday, I met up with Gerry to have lunch with some English boys that live by him. He was very sweet to set the whole thing up, and we ended up getting along really well. They are student-teaching here from England and were really nice. We ate at Chili´s (worst choice ever...my burger was essentially raw...one for America) and then afterward, the boys and I met up with my friends, Carolina and Kayt, to walk to the coffee festival that was happening in the downtown. It was cool--we tried a whole bunch of coffees and then when we were feeling sufficiently wired and jumpy, we walked to another plaza where they were having an art fair. Loved it...duh. There was also an orchestra sort of concert that we happened upon in the evening. All in all, a great day!

Today was another unexpected adventure. After teaching in the morning, Carolina and I decided to go antiquing at some Bazars that she knew of. It was really cool--they had all this old stuff (I know, I know...that is the definition of antique) and we spent a few hours searching through the junk to find the gems. We happened upon this one shop that was excellent. The man had all of these old pin-up girl posters, several old type-writers, an old stove, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I even found a postcard from Tehuacan that was written in 1948! Que padre! We spent so long in his store looking at everything and asking questions that he took us into the back room and showed us this giant album of old documents and stuff that he was clearly proud of. There was this really funny identification card for a society entitled P.U.P (el Partido Unido de Pandejos) which literally means the United Group of Idiots! Hysterical.

The owner, Romeo (who is probably about 300 pounds and 6`feet tall), took a liking to us so much that he invited us to lunch! We, of course, accepted. He immediately summoned his (friend? servant?) Alvaro (a teeeeeeny tiny man) to bring us 2 bottles of red wine. (Oh, did I mention this was in the middle of the day and I had class again at 4?) He took out a bunch of styrofoam cups and lids and proceeded to pour one bottle into two cups for Lina and I and one entire bottle into another for himself. I am pretty sure my jaw dropped all the way to the antique-ass floor. After he moved his moto (which was actually a four-wheeler,)we followed him to an Italian restaurant where he ordered us spaghetti with red sauce and peperoni. (A strange choice, but free, and therefore delicious.) And we brought in the wine although he kept referring to it loudly as jugo de jamaica when within earshot of the waiters.

Romeo then  proceeded to entertain us with a story about how he met Gloria Gaynor at a club in Mexico many years ago and had a 2 day romance with her!! (Yes, that Gloria Gaynor!) The man was a complete and utter maniac and we loved him! I had to essentially eat and run because I had class, but we promised to visit him again in his shop. Just goes to show, you never know what a Monday afternoon will bring!